Thursday, June 25, 2009

Left. Left. Left. Right. Left.


I grew up about a block away from a high school and their football field was across from the end of my street. During the Summer and Fall I would stand at the end of the corner and march right along with the Marching Band that was practicing. I played the flute *also known as a stick*. There for a while my brother and I actually had real instruments. I played the trumpet and he played the saxophone, I think… beautiful music made from an ingenious purchase by my mom at a garage sale. When we got the real instruments, we graduated our marching from the corner to the alley by our house. I don’t really don’t think the neighbors loved it… as a matter of fact I remember one named “Queen” complaining about it… but that didn’t stop us, we marched on proudly.

I went on to trade in my stick for an actual flute in Junior High and had the very unfortunate opportunity to be in a real marching band. I hated every ever lovin minute of it. That outfit they make you wear… it just wasn’t for me. Not to say that I don’t have complete respect for others that did it… I just wasn’t cut out for that kind of extracurricular activity.

A few months ago I watched the Isiserettes Drill and Drum Corp perform after an Aids Walk I did and it was hard for me to not start bustin a move, which is why I am so excited that tonight, I am going with a friend to the DCI Drill and Drum performance! This is supposed to be THE major league of marching, so there is sure to be some heart pumping action!

Now that I am an adult and I know that nobody is going to hold me down and force that band uni on me and make me go marching, I will be sure to enjoy the show!

No comments: