Wednesday, June 17, 2009

“Camp Hugsalot”




I bought a shirt that said that about a year ago, on accident… For the record, I haven’t actually worn it in public.




Last night I went to the gym, then book club, then home and watched my very most favorite show right now, The Real Housewives of New Jersey. The book club book this month was about a woman that was so unappreciated at home that she literally just walked away from her life. She left her kids, her husband, her friends… everything. She went to a small town and set about making a life for herself. Over all the book was pretty lamo blamo, but there were some things that caught my attention… This woman had never been alone and had to learn how to be that way. She made a comment that all women should learn to dine alone without a book, and I totally agree… being alone with just your thoughts is ok and potentially very empowering!



But, she also said something about how one thing she missed about being home, though, was hugs. And, this I agree with as well. I have actually thought about that a lot since I have been in Des Moines… In front of most of my friends, I try to be so “hard” and capable and independent… for them to come up and give me a hug would be completely awkward. For a few other select friends, I feel like a boob grab or a leg hump would be completely more appropriate…




But, what I really need is the deep exhale, limp in the other persons arms, doesn’t stop until I am finished hugs…. I am going home in July… maybe I can find it there.


No comments: