Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lunch Plan Derailed


Every day during my lunch hour I go to a little playground/park near my office. I eat my lunch (packed each night before bed) and read part of whatever book I am currently on. It is my little escape in the day. I only take my phone so I can know what time I need to head back, but it stays on silent while I am there.

Today I got there at the normal time and went to my little picnic table and started my lunch, when the stupid landscapers pulled up. They all piled out and started unloading equipment. I wanted to yell out, “Um, excuse me, can you guys come back in an hour?! K, Thanks!”. But, there is a lot of ground to cover, so I figured they would be smart enough to work on the side opposite of where my picnic table was until I left. Nope. They weren’t.

They came right over to where I was sitting and fired up the mower! Grass was flying everywhere and the noise was ridiculous. So, begrudgingly I got up and went to my car. As I was walking over, the mower guy* stopped the cutting part and drove over to me to tell me he was really sorry he ruined my lunch. My first reaction was to tell him I was sorry I was going to have to pick grass out of my hair for the next hour and that he should have planned better… but it was nice of him to apologize and he was just doing his job… So I just smiled and said, “No problem”… I ate the rest of my lunch and read my book, enjoying the rest of my escape, in my car.

*Mower guy happened to be a ginger. For the record, I have nothing against gingers… as a matter of fact, they have a very special place in my heart… but, summer jobs that require extreme amounts of sun exposure should not be held by those fair skinned little angels.

No comments: