Thursday, July 23, 2009

Llama Goes On A Cruise - Birthday Week - Day 4

*In case you are just joining us, this week is my mamma's b-day week. Yes, we celebrate weeks in my family. So, in honor of her big day, this week has featured fun little posts directly related to her. Enjoy and we will return to regularly scheduled posting next week.*



One of the very best vacations I have ever taken was on cruise with my mom. She had never been on a cruise before and we had never taken a big trip, just the two of us. Don’t worry, I won’t bore you with vacation stories, because everyone knows vacation stories are like grandkid pictures…. The only person that gives a shit is the person that is telling or showing. Oh, you know I’m right. But, I will tell you a few fun facts that I learned about my mom during this trip.

She is the best wingman I have ever had. She shamelessly doted on me to any man (or woman) that came within a ten foot radius of her. Mothers always think their kids are the smartest and most attractive, and my mom was no different… But she not only wanted everyone to know it, she wanted them to appreciate it and act accordingly. Perhaps my self confidence before that trip was a little fragile and her intentions were to change that, and her goal was certainly accomplished.

She is fearless… and perhaps a little crazy. We rented jet skis one day and after reading the contract and the clause that disclosed the damage fee of $100 per inch of damage, I was taking things a bit slow. Not crazy ass… she was flying through the ocean like she hadn’t gone a day in life without being on a jet ski; she was even racing the locals. When we went on our sting ray adventure, she was the first one in the water, shuffling her feet through the sea of deadly creatures with abandon . And, on the snorkeling tour, do you think she stayed with the group? No. she had to into the darker, deeper water because that is where the good stuff was.

She is as dramatic as I am. We were so incredibly hung over one day that we couldn’t leave our room. We had ourselves convinced we had gotten a deadly cruise ship virus and probably needed to be quarantined. So, we called the nurse to explain our systems, of course. The nurse said we needed to drink water, take ibuprofen and sleep it off.

She is very hygienic. After about seven apple martinis and a trip the bathroom, she thought that I hadn’t washed my hands. So, in a football style take down, she tackled me back into the bathroom to make sure I had properly cleansed myself. After a second washing to clean the spilled alcohol off my arms, I was able to leave the bathroom without incident. She meant well.

Happy Birthday Week, Llam.

No comments: