Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Weakest Link

So, as you know, I am in a book club and this month happened to be my month to choose the book. Thus far our books have primarily been love stories, feel good stories about inner strength or funny, uplifting books.
So, it would be fitting that I would choose In Thin Air: The Mt. Everest Disaster.
Forget feel good stories about the perfect man coming along and saving the woman from the life she didn't deserve... let's talk about frozen limbs, amputation and oxygen deprivation.
I didn't know it was going to be that depressing, really I didn't. Had I know, I would have made more of an attempt to be not rock the book club boat and would have chosen something more along the lines of.... well, I don't know... but something more corny and romantic.
The worst part about this whole thing is, however, that I haven't even finished the book. Nope. As a matter of fact, I googled "In Thin Air Synopsis" about five minutes before book club was set to start. Thankfully, I had read about the first half and had just enough name recognition from my Cliff's Notes to interject with seemingly intelligent comments.
Ok... and there is more... The hosting member also bakes something to share with the group. But, not me. I went to Target and bought things that just looked they were homemade.
So, I chose a depressing book that I didn't even really read and had to fake my way through conversation and I didn't even really make my treat.
If I was the in charge of this book club, I would boot my ass out.

No comments: