Friday, June 18, 2010

Daddy


I am so blessed to have you. I am so proud of you and the fact that aside from mom’s fantastic singing voice, you single handedly hold the large majority of the family’s talent.

There are a million pictures that I could have chosen when highlighting this post, but this is my favorite. It epitomizes you and highlights your talent while displaying your grace.
I have never felt as safe, with anyone, as I do when I am with you.

I will never look at pieces of cardboard without thinking that my dad could build a boat (that actually floats with people in it!) out of it. Or a jewelry box. Or even a dinosaur!

I have always had so much pride in your talent, but when you sang the National Anthem at the Chief’s game, I was thisclose to getting a "I Heart My Dad" tat on my bicep.

While there have been a great many moments of pride, there have also been some embarrassments, if I do say so. Like the time you put ketchup on Stacy’s (practically the coolest girl in junior high) arm. Or the time you drove your car into the back of a loaded school bus, even though I warned you, also in junior high. Those were difficult years for me….

But, those moments taught me how to laugh. You taught me how to find humor and levity in situations that would otherwise make me want to jab a spork in my eye.

More than pride and humor however, you gave me love. Unconditional, unwavering love.

But, you didn’t just love me, you loved God. And, with that, you gave me faith, hope and peace. Because of that love, I know my path is defined and my steps are directed.

And, you loved my momma. I was able to grow up in a home, not a house; with a family, not people I happened to share a last name with. You exemplified how a man is supposed to love and respect his family and his wife.

I am rich. I am blessed. My heart is so full.

I am the person I am because of you.

I love you. Happy Father’s Day.
~Girl.

1 comment:

tom said...

Girl - I have always had great Father's Day - See you next Friday!!