Monday, December 28, 2009

So Fast

It is funny to me how quickly I go from single/independent/strong/no nonsense woman to little sister/daddy's girl/baby/big sister... Home just does that to me. Every time. No matter how much I try to fight it.
Within about three minutes of being home, my brother was jacking me in the arm. I am sure that he wanted me to think that he was super tough... but what I really knew was that he missed me. And, a few days later, when I was getting ready to head back here and he put me in a full nelson to show me how it was really done, I knew it was because he was going to miss me. Although, he would never admit it.
When I was guarding the door while my brothers were wrapping my parents pillows with wrapping paper, and putting ornaments in their sheets as a special surprise for when they went to bed... and when I helped my mom take down the Christmas tree, only to put it back up in my dad's art studio (even though it was too big for him and the tree to fit into at the same time)... going to back to my life in Des Moines was the farthest thing from my mind.
Shopping with my mamma, pedis with my sister, fighting about how long it takes me to get ready with my brother, hanging out with my dad, encouraging my little brother to do things that make my mom crazy just because I think it is funny, seeing my favorite aunt/uncle and cousins... That is exactly what I needed.

No comments: