Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Nerd Alert! Nerd Alert!

Yesterday I had my monthly book club meeting. Even though I love book club and I am reading good books that I normally wouldn’t have on my own… I always feel like quite the dork when I say anything about it. Oh well, today I wear my dork vest, proudly.


The book we just finished was The Last Lecture, by Randy Pausch. He was a professor that died of pancreatic cancer, but before he passed he gave a “last lecture” that was meant to leave a lasting impression with faculty and students, but more importantly leave bits of wisdom and advice to his children.


Here are some of my favorite pieces of Randy’s advice:


If there is an elephant in the room, introduce yourself! This one is funny to me, because this is how that works in my head - Hello there, Elephant. I’m Charlie Girl. You are big… Now let’s move on!!



If you think you can or can’t, you’re right. Attitude means so much.



Don’t piss on my back and tell me it’s raining. Oh, wait, that one is mine…



Don’t listen to what a man says, pay attention to what he DOES. This is one he directed to his daughter, she was only eighteen months old at the time, but he needed her to know that this would be important in her future. I agree.


I don’t want to give too many of them away, because then you won’t need to read the book! I will tell you, though, for all you non-nerds out there that for some reason don’t think sitting down a great book and a delicious hot drink sounds ah-may-zing, the lecture can also be you-tubed. I am not going to lie though… I will probably judge you just a little if you you-tube only…

2 comments:

tom said...

I am so you tubing this - as I don't even read menus

CharlieGirl said...

Or you could just have Llama read it to you, since we are referencing how you handle menus!