Saturday, March 5, 2011

Elderly Entitlement


Please meet Carl. My Neighbor.



I don't actually know his name, but in my head it is Carl because he looks and acts so much like the guy from Up. He is a total grump, but you can tell that he is actually a precious little man.



The average age at my apartment complex is about 26 and the drink of choice is Jager, so Carl is bucking the trend a bit... I guess I might be a little bit of grump too if I couldn't lounge my old bones by the pool peacefully during the summer time, because it might interfere with the kick ass game of tippycup that has captivated the rest of the crowd.



Anyway, sometimes the non kickboxing days at my gym get boring so instead of going there, I just run at my apartment gym. I go at about 5:00 AM and each time I do it, it is just me and ol' Carl. I wave to him when I walk in, just out of courtesy... we are the only two in the whole place after all, but he just gives me a dirty look back and looks away! I don't care though, because he wears a sweat band around his forehead and I love it!



This past Thursday morning Carl and I got there at about the same time... I waved, he grimaced, of course... but I noticed he was carrying in a big fan.



I got on the treadmill, he headed to the elliptical. But, before he got on, he propped up this fan in the window right by his face!



He finally got on and started working out, but after a few minutes the machine started making a banging noise.



That is when this little old man, with his sweat band, gets off the machine, goes to his bag, grabs a hammer and starts banging away!!!!



Finally a piece of something bends and then falls off and Carl got back on and started working away... the fan just cooling him right off.



Maybe at that age you don't have the luxury to wait for help?!

No comments: