Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Official Diagnosis

 
Dear beloved readers, both of you
 
It is with a heavy heart, but some relief that I make the following news public.  After years of struggle and with the help of a 20/20 special, I have been self diagnosed with Misophonia.  According to Wikipedia, Misophonia is literally translated to the “hatred of sound,” or a form of decreased sound tolerance.  In other words, if you chew ice around me or snap your gum or even cough… I want to punch you.
 
Plagiarized directly from Wikipedia, little is known about the anatomical location of the physiological abnormality that causes such symptoms but it is most likely high central nervous system structures.  It is believed to result from abnormally strong connections between the autonomic and limbic systems in the brain, rather than over-activity of the auditory system.  In other words, if you are breathing heavy or need to blow your nose but are delaying it by sucking it back into your face or are tapping a pen or make a slurp sound when you take a drink… I want to punch you.  Hard.  And after I punch you, I will take your pen away or make you spit out your gum or pour out your drink or make you blow your nose. 
 
Unfortunately, for everyone involved, there is no known treatment.  So, I ask you to please be patient with me and my struggle and simply refrain from making any noises.  Ever.
 
Yours Truly –
 
Charlie Girl

No comments: