Monday, June 6, 2011

Tryin' It Out

I have not kept it a secret that I seriously hate running... I am not a runner, but I do force myself to do it as much as I can.



Boyfriend is also not a runner and he may or may not know it.



Yesterday, he didn't know it and suggested we try something new he had been reading about, barefoot running. Our Lord and Savior engineered our feet perfectly, who needs Nike, right?!



I am up for trying new things, so we headed out and gave it a whirl.



Pros:


I was so focused on not stepping on a big piece of glass or a gigantic rock, that it really did take my mind off of the run itself... allowing me to run faster and longer.



I could tell that I worked my calve muscles more, because of the placement of my foot when it hit the ground. (That may or may not be a good thing... I haven't checked into it yet...).



Not having to put on shoes and socks cut down the "getting ready" process by about 45 seconds.





Cons:


We really did look pretty silly, truckin down the street with work out clothes on and no shoes. I was dying for someone to say something to us, so I could yell out, "Don't worry! We are barefoot runners!!".



Maybe you shouldn't take you first couple of runs in a neighborhood with children. I can tell you, that if you miss a rock and accidentally step on it, eff bombs are getting dropped. You can't even help it.



The barefoot running shoes (isn't that a contradiction?!) are about $90 at Scheels and they are so ugly!



Final Report:


I may try it again, if coaxed and without coaxing I may try on the barefoot running shoes and take a lap or two around Scheels, I think a true customer assessment would be a good idea.

No comments: