Friday, December 16, 2011

That's My Name, Don't Wear It Out!



When I was a little girl, I totally hated my name. I think every young girl pretends that their name is something else every now and then... but I totally hated my name. I felt like it just didn't fit me... And I felt like "Tori" and "Dawn" and "Mallory" fit me so much better.


I went away to church camp when I was in like 5th grade or so. Rather than having my parents drive me and drop me off at the camp, I just went with the church group. Which gave me the opportunity to complete my own "intake" paperwork when I arrived... I can assure you, that no Charlie arrived that day. But, Tori did!


For a few years after that my parents wondered who "Tori" was and why I was so excited when we accidentally got her mail.


I went to summer festival when I was like 21 with some girlfriends and as we were walking around, one of the girls, Tiffany (a name I had often coveted), decided we should all make up fake names. I was totally down for this game and was just about to resurrect Tori when she said, "I am going to be Joey... guys names for girls is so hot"!


And with that, I decided my name was just fine!



I get asked all the time if my name is short for something or what my real name is... but today it happened like 4 times. And, each time, I proudly said, "Nope, just Charlie!" and secretly thanked my parents for a name that was just perfect for me!

No comments: